Confidentiality and data storage
Data storage and logging
By visiting this website, certain technical data about your Internet connection and your browser are recorded. These data can be categorized as follows:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical information about servers
- User information in databases
A cookie is a mechanism by which your browser can store information it receives from web pages and then later send it back to the web pages. This happens automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies can perform several functions, such as tracking settings, which user you are logged into, what you have access to, helping to ensure that you receive the correct content, tracking ad impressions and more.
Cookies help keep track of these settings and other things over time, so that the information is more easily accessible on repeat visits to the website. Cookies are also used for the temporary processing of user-specific information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Cookies are automatically saved by your browser in the form of small text files on your computer. You can change the cookie management settings in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of website content, whether text pages, images, etc. Cookies are only sent back to the website from which you obtained them, and not to other websites.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Critical cookies are used to keep track of user information, access, certain personal settings and more. Without these, the site will not work properly.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which parts of it are most popular, which parts are used the most and more. Some of them are third-party cookies provided by external service providers. Analytical function cookies are used to improve the website (which is constantly evolving), but they are not critical for the functionality of the website.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and third-party advertising systems to track and track ad impressions.
There is a legal obligation that this information be made available to you as a user of websites that use such cookies.
When you visit a website, the web server records certain technical information such as your IP address, the browser you are using and the time at which you request data from the server, i.e. when you click on a internal link and load a new website or related data such as fonts, images, various scripts necessary for the operation of the website.
This data is only saved for a certain period of time in order to troubleshoot and correct errors in the systems, and is never shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store certain information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this site, but the simple contact details you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services in the online journal will be stored in our databases. This is necessary to provide the Services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
If you visit this site without creating a user account or subscription, the following data about you will be stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser is stored in web server logs. This technical information is kept for 180 days, and is necessary for the operation of the service and for security. This data is never disclosed to newspaper employees or third parties.
- Google Analytics counts page views to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymous and cannot be used to track you.
- Certain third-party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on remote servers.
- A cookie is set to identify you as a user when browsing web pages. This will be deleted when you close your browser, or at the latest after 360 minutes of inactivity.
Connected users and subscribers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or an online newspaper subscription, the following information will also be stored about you:
- Name, address and other contact information you provide during the registration process. This data is kept until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, eg. when it was purchased, how it was paid for, some credit card numbers, how long the subscription lasted and what subscription you have. This data is kept until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data on the articles you have read and the quantity of articles you read. This is used to improve our content and will be deleted if you delete your user account.
NB: Once the data is deleted, it will still be possible to keep it for up to 180 days in backups. Backups are stored with high security and limited access, and are necessary to be able to troubleshoot and ensure the security of users and computer systems.
As a user of this website, you can contact the newspaper to have your data transmitted and / or deleted.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can login to your user profile and download your stored data, as well as delete your user account and associated data at any time.
You can also delete all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendation: By using the YourOnlineChoices.com EU service, you can to some extent control how different ad providers track you, as well as read lots of great tips on how to personalize the ads that show up . Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
NB: Certain critical system data contained, for example, in web server logs cannot be deleted on request, but will be automatically deleted after a short period of time, in accordance with the information above.
If you press REFUSE, no cookies will be stored in your browser and no data concerning you will be recorded in our databases. It also means that we cannot tell whether you have approved or not, so you will see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still retain your IP address and browser information, but this will be permanently deleted as described above.
“Web specialist. Social media ninja. Amateur food aficionado. Alcohol advocate. General creator. Beer guru.”