Liverpool are embroiled in the title fight after a show of force against Leeds United. They scored six goals against the white shirts, where superstars Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mané scored two each.
– Now Liverpool can feel Manchester City ahead of them, says TV 2’s Simen Stamsø-Møller.
– Manchester City have reason to feel a little nervous now. Liverpool are back to their best form, and it may look better than ever, the commentator continued.
Salah broke Drogba’s goalscoring record
Salah ravaged Leeds, and in addition to his two goals, he also contributed with a key assist.
With his two goals today, Salah overtook Didier Drogba in Premier League goals. With 160 goals, he is the African with the most league goals.
Salah is still the Premier League’s top scorer with his 19 goals. In second place follows Diogo Jota (12 goals) and in third place we find Sadio Mané (11 goals). The common denominator is that all three play for Liverpool.
It was also a big night for Liverpool midfielders, where Joel Matip and Virgil van Dijk scored a goal apiece. Especially the score of the first was good shots after good combinations with Salah.
– It was good, because we scored goals. I’ve tried to score before but got lucky this time and it was a brilliant ball from Mohamed Salah, Matip tells Sky Sports and continues:
– Leeds are still dangerous, and they still create chances with the quality and style they have in the squad.
Matip’s fellow stopper was also impressed with his own team.
– It was a strong and important victory against a strong opponent. They play intensely with a lot of running. We had to fight and do a lot of work. I felt we did very well, said van Dijk.
Jokes for Leeds
Wednesday’s 6-0 victory is Liverpool’s biggest win this season.
Chelsea awaits on Sunday, where the two giants will meet in the league cup final. Liverpool are in every tournament this season, and they can in theory win all four possible trophies.
Liverpool will face West Ham in the next league match, while Leeds will be visited by Tottenham.
Maybe it’s a bit of a joke for Leeds in terms of relegation. Marcelo Bielsa’s men are just three points over the line, and several behind them have matches under their belts.
– We are already fighting to avoid relegation. Of course, that worries me, Bielsa told Leeds’ own broadcaster after the game.
Liverpool are now just three points behind league leaders Manchester City, where the two sides have played 26 games.
On April 10, the two big clubs meet, and it can quickly be a decisive match to see who gets away with the Premier League trophy.
“Web specialist. Social media ninja. Amateur food aficionado. Alcohol advocate. General creator. Beer guru.”