Everything on Football WC on the WC portal of TV 2
The FIFA World Cup in Qatar is approaching, where 32 nations from around the world will fight for the biggest prize in international national team football: the World Cup title.
A championship tree is ready, so even now the different nations know what obstacles they potentially face on the road to success.
The editors of TV 2 have also set up such a championship tree, while we now invite you to choose the winner in two informal competition formats:
- Who is the best player in WC history?
- Who is the best player of the 2022 World Cup?
The tournament trees have been compiled based on a number of selected profiles, commentators, experts and journalists’ top 20 lists, and now it’s up to you to decide the outcome of the daily duels that will be presented.
In the list of current best players, which is reduced from 20 to 16 to achieve a full play-off tree from the 1/8 stage, it should be noted that potentially important World Cup profiles such as Thomas Müller, Jamal Musiala and Alisson Becker shine by their absences.
For some, perhaps the most striking thing will be that Cristiano Ronaldo hasn’t had a place in the best company. In fact, only one of the ten on TV 2’s panel picked the Portuguese as one of their top 20.
– For me it is not surprising, all the time it had a downward curve over a long period of time. Yes, he has played for Portugal at times and will also be a man to watch in this World Cup, but he is no longer in the top 20 in the world. It’s as simple as that, says TV 2 football expert Jesper Mathisen and continues:
– We are not going to evaluate here what he has done throughout his career, but what he represents in the winter of 2022. Then Ronaldo is not even in the picture when the 20 best players in the WC are chosen.
Opens up to leave Manchester United: – Maybe it’s time for a new chapter
Mathisen and fellow expert Simen-Stamsø Møller have themselves given their expert assessments of the full 16 that will ultimately make up the selection of players people can vote for as the best player to play in the 2022 World Cup. .
– It is important to specify that we consider this before the championship. So it’s not about who is the best in the Worlds in 2022, but who are basically the best players before the start of the championship, explains Mathisen.
Cristiano Ronaldo is also not included in the competition to become the best World Cup player of all time, as this is reserved for players who have been drafted.
Get a preview of the first duel of this competition here:
Best in the World Cup: Pelé against Eusebio
De Bruyne at his peak
The player who is doing best in the general ranking of current players in the TV 2 selection is Kevin De Bruyne, who is ranked as follows by TV 2 expertise.
– Indispensable for Belgian success in the World Cup. Technical, overview and an otherworldly passing foot, and conductor in the last wholesaler of Pep Guardiola’s Championship side at club level. The key to Belgium’s World Cup success is probably De Bruyne’s magical legs.
Do you agree that he is the best? See all the ratings and take part in the vote in the TV universe 2 “World Cup’s best” here.
Here is TV 2’s assessment of the 20 best players in the World Championship before the start of the championship in Qatar:
- Kevin De Bruyne, Belgium
- Kylian Mbappe, France
- Robert Lewandowski, Poland
- Vinicius Jr., Brazil
- Lionel Messi, Argentina
- Neymar Jr., Brazil
- Virgil van Dijk, Netherlands
- Luka Modric, Croatia
- Harry Kane, England
- Thibaut Courtois, Belgium,
- Pedri, Spain
- Bernardo Silva, Portugal
- Federico Valverde, Uruguay
- Heung-min Son, South Korea
- Phil Foden, England
- Joshua Kimmich, Germany
- Joao Cancelo, Portugal
- Rodri, Spain
- Raphinha, Brazil
- Alfonso Davies, Canada
*PS! Originally, Sadio Mané and Karim Benzema were also on the list as numbers eight and three respectively, but as Senegal confirmed their star player’s absence from the World Cup earlier this week and France did the same regarding Ballon d’Or winner Benzema on Saturday night are they replaced before the WC starts.
Read what Stamsø-Møller and Mathisen write about the top 16 as daily duels appear here.
The WC hero is shocked by the choice of his ex-teammate
“Hardcore coffee specialist. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Devoted internetaholic.”