Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyj has arrived in Moldova to attend the European summit in Bulboaca, reports Reuters.
The meeting will be held in a wine castle 35 kilometers from the capital Chisinau and only 20 kilometers from the border with Ukraine.
Top leaders from over 40 EU countries will meet here and this is the second meeting under the European Political Community. They will discuss security issues and hot topics.
Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre (Ap) attends as a representative of Norway.
– Waiting for NATO
There was speculation about the appearance of Zelenskyj, but this has not been confirmed. Upon his arrival, he declares that Ukraine is ready for NATO membership.
– Ukraine is ready to join NATO and we are waiting for NATO to be ready, he said.
In a message on Telegram, Zelenskyj writes that he will have many bilateral meetings, and that the discussions are, among other things, about fighter jets.
– We are developing a coalition of fighters and proposing a coalition of “patriots”. EU, NATO, peace formula. Everything to protect our future, writes Zelensky.
During the meeting, Zelenskyj expressed a desire to form a coalition of air defense and fighter aircraft. He says it would have helped bring peace.
– There is no place for cold or hot wars in Europe, says Zelenskyj.
He also says that Ukraine needs a clear decision on its NATO membership at the NATO meeting in Vilnius.
– This is the year of decisions. A clear invitation to NATO and guarantees that membership is on the way are needed, Zelenskyj told the conference.
He believes that Russia is afraid of NATO.
– Russia is afraid of NATO and seeks only to engulf surrounding countries that are not part of the common security it provides. And Russia will start a cold war if it fails to swallow its neighboring countries, Zelenskyy said at the summit.
The conference is the largest of its kind ever held in the country and Moldovan authorities say it is a step towards EU membership. Moldova was granted candidate country status in June 2022.
“Hardcore coffee specialist. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Devoted internetaholic.”